In response to the letter sent to Minister Davies from the Fix the Patent Laws coalition, Minister Davies sent a letter to the coalition recommitting to the adoption of TRIPS safeguards to protect health but noting ongoing delays. The coalition welcomed Minister Davies confirmation that the DTI remains committed to the adoption of TRIPS safeguards to protect health, but called for an urgent end to delays to ensure people in South Africa are able to access the medicines that they need.
- More than 80 academics, researchers and teachers call on President Ramaphosa to Fix the Patent Laws
- South Africa’s patent laws threaten access to future COVID-19 medicines
- COVID-19: The time for procrastination over patents is over
- COVID-19: Patent victories from HIV fight are now more relevant than ever
- Minister Mkhize must ensure access to cancer medicine that WHO now considers “essential”